Doshisha Business School (DBS)
Doshisha University, a prestigious private university located in the beautiful and historic city of Kyoto, was established by a Christian missionary in 1875 in the spirit of international friendship, the promotion of diversity and the pursuit of learning.
Part of the university, Doshisha Business School (DBS), has been offering an MBA programme in Japanese since 2004. It inaugurated a two-year English-language Global MBA (GMBA) from 2009 with a mission is to "nurture a new generation of conscientious business leaders capable of meeting the challenges of today's global business."
DBS is a modern campus with excellent facilities including classrooms, lounges, project rooms and a library, which is open 24/7 as well as state-of-the art ICT equipment such as wireless LANs and projector facilities. The School has strong connections with a number of high-profile global corporations head-quartered in or near Kyoto. It also has partnerships and affiliations with other top global business schools in the US, Europe and China.
Programme Details - Overview -
The GMBA programme aims to develop management skills and practices that strike a balance between the local and the global, with the philosophy that local diversity embedded in universal cosmopolitan values is key to successful business in the 21st century.
The curriculum therefore encourages students to develop a global, cosmopolitan perspective that enables them to understand and compare different business cultures and styles. At the same time the programme also has a strong focus on innovation and technology management covering such themes as the societal benefits of innovation, innovative network models, and Japanese innovation models. Finally, the orientation of the programme is very much towards to developing a sustainable and long-term approach to business that takes into account such issues as the environment, CSR, ethics and culture.
Programme Details - Structure -
The GMBA is a 2-year programme (18 months at Doshisha and 6 months either at a global partner school, or on an internship with a corporate partner).
First 3 Semesters (18 months)
- Global Core Course
- 6 modules selected from 9
- Global Professional Course
- 5 modules selected from 3 streams (Technology and Innovation Management; Global Comparative Management; and Sustainable Business and Modeling)
- Global Intensive Modules (Semester 2 only)
- Modules offered by high-profile professors from partner business schools (Oxford, Erasmus, INSEAD, Washington State, Sheffield, Adelaide, Macau etc.)
- Global Research Seminar
- Research, class-room discussion/debate
- Global Business Communication
- Intensive language courses (students specialise in one of English, Japanese, Chinese)
- Discussion/debate with representatives of high-profile Japanese multi-nationals.
Last Semester (6 months)
- Global Action Project
- International MBA Seminar abroad or in Japan plus an internship (The options are: UC Berkeley + Silicon Valley internship; University of Cambridge + British internship; Xi’an Jiaotong University (Shanghai) + Shanghai internship; Doshisha University + Kyoto internship).
- The faculty consists of top class scholars from around the world.
(20 Japanese and 20 non-Japanese, including 17 visiting faculty members)
- For the 2009/2010 programme, there are 20 students from 12 different countries and a variety of different business backgrounds. The average age and years of professional experience are 28 and 4 respectively.
- Corporate Associates
- Daikin Industries Ltd.; Ganko Food Service Co., Ltd.; Hyatt Regency, Kyoto, Ishida Co., Ltd.; OMRON Corporation; and Ikkosha Co., Ltd.
+ More information
Please see the following URL for more details on the application process and requirements, programme fees, financial aid options, etc.